I "heart" my extraordinarily creative friends -- you will too when you visit them!

Wednesday, May 13, 2009

An Apple a Day...



Another great saying. But where did it originate? It is reported that the earliest published version of this little axiom was in Wales in the February 1866 edition of Notes and Queries magazine:

"A Pembrokeshire proverb. Eat an apple on going to bed, And you'll keep the doctor from earning his bread."

This apple doesn't require a bite be taken out of it to receive a benefit. It is being sent to my husband's Aunt Edith to convey our good wishes for her in celebrating her 85th birthday. My son finds it humorous that most of my cards have "stories." And this card is no exception. It was created while I was working in Seatttle and I occupied myself in the evenings sitting in my hotel room with a baggie full of strips cut from Christmas cards to design cards. This apple is one of my favorites. A lot of my stamps have stories too: while driving through Kent, Washington, I found the stamp of a bowl of apples which I used as an accompaniment image for the envelope. (Lockhart Stamp Company). Happy Birthday, Aunt Edith.


4 comments:

The Mama Monkey said...

Wow! Amazing job on the apple! Those strips of paper are just perfect together!!

Sue said...

Love your apple card, and so with your Aunt! And, your stories are great too!

Silli said...

Hello Martha, I love your name! And your applework is so fabby! Hugs from Silke

Sue said...

Hi Martha, thanks for your kind comment on my blog, love this apple card and too the lovely story that goes with it, my mum always used to say an apple a day keeps the doctor away!! I do think these old wives tales definately have some truth behind them! Happy Crafting to you Sue xx